Instructor/Assistant Professor of Computer Science
This faculty position is located on a multi-site college in the University System of Georgia. Reporting to Division Dean, the primary duty of this faculty member will be to prepare and deliver instruction for Computer Science courses in this and related fields. This is a full-time tenure-track position or leading to tenure-track position, depending on the qualifications of the candidate.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging. Regular fulltime staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Teach the equivalent of 30 semester hours over the course of an academic year (fall and spring terms).
• Classes may be assigned day, evening, or weekend and possibly at multiple campuses.
• Manage courses through systematic use of syllabi and accurate reports of students’ class performance, attendance, and grades
• Keep at least ten office hours per week
• Participate in academic advisement
• Assist in curriculum development and review/selection of instructional materials
• Serve on committees of the college
• Attend divisional and full-faculty meetings, as well as training sessions and graduations
• Engage in assessment of student learning outcomes and program assessment
• Serve the community and the profession
• Pursue continued professional development
Position requires a master’s degree or doctoral degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of eighteen graduate units in Computer Science. In addition, some teaching experience at a post secondary institution is recommended. Candidates who also have eighteen or more hours of graduate-level Mathematics units will be given additional consideration.
Commensurate with experience and education.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover Letter
- Attach unofficial transcripts with your application. Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of computer science and mathematics
- Knowledge of academic requirements
- Skills with instructional technology
- Organizational skills to keep accurate and timely records
- Time management skills; communication skills; human relations skills; advising skills; teaching skills; program and course development experience; current industry experience; ability to establish community and industry partnerships
Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, Dallas, and Douglasville. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor’s degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees.