Water Plant Operator Trainee
This position requires an individual to receive training to perform skilled work in the operation, monitoring, and maintenance of water treatment plants and related facilities. An individual in this position may work independently or as a member of a crew and must be available for overtime work and a variety of assigned shift schedules, some in excess of five consecutive days, including weekends and holidays, for periods of 16 hours or more. This position reports to the Chief Water Plant Operator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Operates and monitors water treatment plant equipment, adjusts controls on various equipment and machinery such as valves, pumps, chlorinators, filters and chemical feeders, and regulates the pressure and flow rates as necessary.
• Collects water samples and performs tests for pH, chlorine, turbidity, fluoride, alkalinity, hardness, etc.
• Adjusts process in response to test results.
• Receives and verifies chemical shipments and fills chemical feeders as required.
• Operates, checks, and calibrates a variety of mechanical equipment, meters, valves, gauges, and instruments to ensure proper operation.
• Takes readings and records on charts various water treatment plant equipment, gauges and other related instrumentation.
• Maintains complete and accurate records and logs of duties completed.
• Notes changes made to process and test results.
• Performs chemical treatments to reservoirs to maintain water quality.
• Performs preventative and minor maintenance on assigned plant.
• Performs janitorial duties at assigned plant.
• Cleans and/or paints equipment, pumps, motors, piping, etc.
Performs grounds maintenance and general clean up as needed.
• Receives incoming telephone calls and routes calls as necessary.
• Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Possession of a valid State of Georgia driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). Must be able to obtain a State of Georgia Class III Water Supply System Operator Certificate within one year of employment.
Visit www.ddcwsa.com and fill out application provided on the Career Opportunities page. Applications may also be submitted in person at the WSA Administrative Building located at 8763 Hospital Drive in Douglasville, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.