Director of Quality
Bang Energy Performance Beverages and Sports Nutrition has been producing epic innovations for 25 years. We engage in an unrelenting pursuit to create trendsetting appearance and performance enhancing inventions. Our sports nutrition and beverage innovations are backed by 27 double-blind placebo-controlled Gold Standard University studies. Likewise, our marketing and distribution has been discussed for its excellence by such prestigious news outlets as Forbes and Wells Fargo. We are hiring super creative, ultra-positive and high-energy professionals to drive our vision to serve the entire world cutting edge health promoting beverages and nutrition! We are top sellers in iconic retailers such as 7 Eleven, Publix, Walmart, and are the #1 selling beverage of all time in the world’s largest health food retailers: GNC and Vitamin Shoppe.
The position will have oversight for the Quality and Food Safety in the design and launch of new products, line extensions, quality improvements and productivity initiatives.? The Quality Director will provide leadership and direction to a team of technically skilled direct reports and the position will serve as the point of contact and subject matter expert on all food safety and quality topics on assigned product categories.? As needed, the Quality Director will engage in activities with equipment manufacturers, industry colleagues, and regulatory agencies.
- Provide Quality and Food Safety leadership to the organization as it relates to product and package design
- Hire, conduct onboarding, conduct performance evaluations, and provide feedback and coaching to a technically skilled team of direct reports
- Identify gaps and opportunities and drive and lead improvement initiatives
- Develop and implement new processes, procedures, and ways of working
- Assign resources to project teams and in some cases represent QA on project teams
- Provide quality and food safety expertise / direction / support in the manufacture of new and existing products
- Provide regular project and team status updates to the Quality and Food Safety Leadership team
- Coordinate design activities with other functional Quality Managers including Plant Quality, Operations QA, Co-Manufacturing QA, Supplier QA, Internal Lab, and the Food Safety team
- Co-ordinate and in some cases perform the technical qualification of potential new co-manufacturing facilities and/or new equipment installations to ensure quality and food safety expectations are met
- Ensure risk assessments are conducted on all projects including robust mitigation and contingency plans
- Administer technical guidance on projects to ensure processes and equipment are capable of meeting company standards for quality and food safety
- Drive compliance to the company stage gate process specifically the Quality and food safety requirements
- Train teams on the quality and food safety deliverables in the company stage gate process
- Represent the Quality and Food Safety function to ensure deliverables are met at the stage gates governance meetings as projects look to move through each gate
- Work closely with the R&D and Engineering teams to troubleshoot and communicate formulation and process problems where necessary – ensure root cause and corrective actions are appropriate and implemented
- Develop a rapport with plant and QA managers of all company owned and co-pack facilities
- Utilize Six Sigma, Lean, and/or other continuous improvement concepts to improve quality, efficiency, and waste
- Develop presentations, reports, and training materials as needed
- Stay current with all key regulatory and certifying agency requirements
- Estimated 30-50% travel
- BS in Science / Food Science / Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years previous Quality Assurance Leadership experience in the food and beverage industry with an emphasis on Cultured, ESL, Aseptic, and Dairy preferred.? Both plant and corporate experience preferred
- Experienced in Quality Systems, GFSI (SQF, FSSC 22000), SPC, food regulations (CFR 21, FSMA / Preventive Controls), Sanitation
- HACCP / PCQI experienced / certified
- Experience in risk analysis (i.e. FMEA)
- Experience in commercialization / launches of new products
- Experienced in commercialization stage gate processes
- Experience in leading, managing and developing direct reports
- Must be adaptable, flexible, and able to prioritize multiple demands simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication / presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of product commercialization processes
- Strong knowledge of quality and food safety systems
- Must have technical and scientific knowledge of formulation, industrial process and equipment
- Must be collaborative, have a technical curiosity, strong troubleshooting skills, and have leadership ability
- Solid strategy development and tactical implementation skills and a demonstrated capacity to interface at all levels of a matrix organization
- Ability to work independently, in a team environment, and as a leader
- Must be able to travel, estimated travel 30-50%
- Excellent record keeping / documentation skills
- Adaptable and quick to learn new processes and tools.
- Has a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- A track record of performance meeting targets and objectives.
- Self-directed, goal-oriented and flexible, enjoying working in a fast-paced and at times challenging environment.
- Ability to work cross-functionally and with a wide range of employees with different skill sets.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills (written and verbal).