Refrigeration System Technician
Southeast Cooler Corp.
Title: Refrigeration SYSTEM Technician – Refrigerated Trailers Production Line
Company Division: Polar Temp
Location: 7885 First Flags Drive, Austell, GA 30168
Department: Refrigerated Trailers
Reports to: Refrigerated Trailer Production Coordinator
FLSA* Status: Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
Employees Supervised: None
The individual in the Refrigeration System Technician position has overall responsibility for installation, operation, and testing of refrigeration systems in refrigerated trailers. This includes connecting refrigeration piping, electrical systems, and electronic control systems. This job includes meeting daily schedules, being responsible for appearance and quality of the finished product, and helping to control inventory stock. The individual also has a working knowledge of all power and hand tools needed to complete the finished product including, but not limited to, the use of refrigeration vacuum pumps, pressure gauges, and electronic data loggers.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates welding torch, vacuum pump, pressure gauges, leak detectors and data logging equipment
- Accurately reads a tape measure, pressure gauges and data loggers
- Interprets electrical and piping diagram drawings
- Creates quality copper tubing refrigeration gas weld joints with no leaks according to drawings and other specifications
- Inspects competed welds for quality and integrity
- Prepares copper tubing sub-assemblies to be welded
- Finishes welded copper tubing joints by sealing with protective sealant
- Sets up and maintains acetylene gas welding equipment
- Follows safe work practices, wears all required personal protective equipment, and identifies any unsafe conditions observed
- Keeps work area clean and organized
- Becomes cross-trained and works in other positions, as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Two or more years of experience as a refrigeration technician in the field or refrigeration training in a technical school
- Knowledge of welding equipment and basic hand tools
- Ability to complete various copper tubing welding, cutting, bending and fabrication tasks
- Ability to accurately read a tape measure
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, diagrams, blueprints, sketches, and written instructions
- Basic math skills
- Ability to pay attention to detail and to be able to follow directions
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Minimum 6 months experience as an acetylene gas welder
- Must be willing to work overtime, including Saturdays, if needed.
The regular work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday, from 6:30 am through 3:10 pm, with 40 minutes off for lunch, 10-minute break morning and afternoon.
Overtime is expected to be a normal part of the schedule. Expect the normal work week to be 48 hours (2 hours/day overtime on Monday – Thursday). HOWEVER, overtime work is not guaranteed.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
Starting wages: $18.50/hour. Upon completion of 90 days satisfactory performance and demonstrated ability to successfully complete certain pre-identified tasks, pay will increase to $19.50/hr.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week.
Benefits offered for this position include:
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Vacation time
- Paid holidays (six holidays)